“This is Garnet, Back together”
Probably not the best way to start things off, but hey, that song is always stuck in my head. Hello internet. It has been several years since my last post. Time and time again I tried to revive this blog, and failed every time. Part of this was due to my exhaustion at work. Spending 40 hours a week working at my local comic store made me a bit jaded and tired of escapism. Comics, Games, and all matter of nerdy things no longer provided me the same comfort that they used to. Thus, trying to come up with the thoughts to engage the fantastic audience I had, never came to me.
In the years I have been a way, quite a bit has changed. Namely, I have gotten older. I have a tougher skin and because of this have found enjoyment in many things I used to. 2017 has been a tumultuous year for me (hasn’t it been for everyone?) and one thing that I have found that really relieves the stress and calms me down is writing. In my free time I write for a fantastic site covering the Toronto Blue Jays. That has helped, but even then that feels like work. Word Counts, topic assignments, editing, re-editing, and word counts can all make it a bit stressful. So I thought I should find a space where I didn’t feel pressured by any of things and could talk about things I love. I toyed with doing something else, but at the end of the day I wanted to do that here.
So with that out of the way. Ravingnerd is back! At least in someway. I can’t guarantee scheduled times for posts, but I do plan on re-engaging with the blog and hopefully engaging with some of the brilliant followers and friends I made when I ran this in its prime. The blog will be similar to what it once was, plenty of conversations about nerdy things, but less focused on news and reviews. If this is a feature people particularly care about, I will consider adding it again. So lets talk about what I am thinking about writing about.
- Intellectual conversations about hot topics in comic books. This includes the rise and fall of Marvel (much to my dismay, which is a sentence that should surprise any long time reader). What Brian Michael Bendis could do for DC, and other similar topics.
- In my free time I love to play Civilization. With the new expansion coming out in February, I will be playing as much as I can before everything changes. For anyone who plays the franchise, you will know that remaking history is fun. Seeing some of the things that the AI does can be exciting, and often hilarious. I would love to share some of my experiences. If anything, it will allow me to keep track of some of my games, and look back on them.
- Star Trek Discovery. I have long Star Trek, and the new series is no different. I love the show, and highly recommend it for anyone curious. The show is on a hiatus right now, and CBS All Access is running a month free for December. Anyone who wants to dip their toes into the show now has nothing to lose.
I love you Cadet Tilly.
- Star Trek Adventures. It is a fantastic RPG system from Modiphus Games. I run a campaign for the staff of the store. I love the game, and I love the world I created. With HarmonQuest and other D&D shows coming out, I thought covering this great game might not be a bad idea.
- Plus anything else I might come up with. Or perhaps something someone wants me to talk about.
I fully expect to rebuild this blog from the ground up. I know I have attempted this several times, but I am fully invested in rebuilding this from the ground up. If there are any old followers out there who read this, leave a comment, I’d love to hear back from you!
Until next time,
Also here is my cat. His name is Phoenix.